Photo

auto reboot on setting change - reboots for all or only reboot required settings

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 snomPhoneUser

snomPhoneUser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:42 PM

Hi all,

just a quick question:
does the "auto reboot on setting change" make the phone reboot when

1) any setting has been changed (regardless if the setting needs a reboot i.o. to have any effect)
2) just the settings that require a reboot have been changed

Not sure if I understood the following correctly:

http://wiki.snom.com..._setting_change

DESCRIPTION
This setting may be used to enable the auto reboot feature during provisioning but preserve old behaviour if needed. Some settings need a reboot to get applied (i.e. vlan, dhcp, ip_address, etc.). A change of this setting takes effect on the settings following it in the provisioned settings file only, so if you like to have it effect all settings in the provisioned settings file, put it at the top of the file! It is a setting as any other one is. If this setting is turned on, it stays on. So after a reboot, the setting is still on. Even if it isn't mentioned at all in the new settings file. If you experience a constantly rebooting phone, set log level to 7 and see (via syslog server) which setting causes the loop.

Thank you for your support!

Kind regards
snomPhoneUser

#2 madigan

madigan

Snom Support Team

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3341 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:03 PM

Hi there,

2) just the settings that require a reboot have been changed

is the answer. By the way, here you find an overview of all settings which require a reboot.

Best regards,
madigan

#3 snomPhoneUser

snomPhoneUser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:38 AM

Thank you for the quick response.

Lets say I enable this option and send a factory reset command, but want to send a download configuration file (or change some settings via setParameterValues) immediately after that (without the phone rebooting immediately after the factory reset), is that possible?

_what I want_
1) factory reset -> download cfg file & apply (or alternatively change settings via setParameterValues) -> reboot

OR

_what I dont want_
2) factory reset -> reboot -> download cfg file & apply (-> reboot, depending on wheather a setting that req. a reboot has been changed)

Kind regards,
snomPhoneUser

#4 madigan

madigan

Snom Support Team

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3341 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

_what I want_
1) factory reset -> download cfg file & apply (or alternatively change settings via setParameterValues) -> reboot

This is not possible- a factory reset will always cause the phone to reboot immediately after the settings have been reset.

_what I dont want_
2) factory reset -> reboot -> download cfg file & apply (-> reboot, depending on wheather a setting that req. a reboot has been changed)

That's the way it works for now. I need to discuss with development if it would make sense to implement an option to reset and request new settings and skip the first reboot. (But even if they agree, this wouldn't happen in near future)

#5 snomPhoneUser

snomPhoneUser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:34 PM

This is not possible- a factory reset will always cause the phone to reboot immediately after the settings have been reset.

Thanks again for the information!

I assume that using the "download firmware" will result in the same behaviour (= instant install + reboot after download, so no need to actively tell the phone to install the fw and reboot thereafter) ?

#6 madigan

madigan

Snom Support Team

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3341 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:48 PM

I assume that using the "download firmware" will result in the same behaviour (= instant install + reboot after download, so no need to actively tell the phone to install the fw and reboot thereafter) ?

Actually the phone will reboot twice by itself.
1. Update request is being recieved
2. Reboot
3. Firmware is being requested and installed
4. Reboot

#7 snomPhoneUser

snomPhoneUser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:10 PM

Okay, I've decided not to activate "auto reboot after setting change", but I've still got some questions, hope you dont mind me using the same thread :P

Actually the phone will reboot twice by itself.
1. Update request is being recieved
2. Reboot
3. Firmware is being requested and installed
4. Reboot

I dont quite understand. Is the first reboot (step 2) caused by a change of the update server/filename (otherwise I cant see why the phone would need a reboot)?
When I connect the phone, it will receive an IP + update server + update filename via DHCP 66/67, so upon calling a "download firmware" (tr69) command by an ACS, no settings will be changed, so no reboot is required, or am I missing something?

How I assume it could work (when "auto reboot on setting change" is disabled):
1) phone receives ip + upd server(ACS url)/filename via DHCP and contacts ACS (now the phone is under the management of our ACS (checking fw version / sending fw download cmd / factory resetting etc))
2) acs checks fw version and sends "download fw" cmd
3) phone downloads + installs + reboots autonomously

...a factory reset will always cause the phone to reboot immediately after the settings have been reset.

even if "auto reboot on setting change" is disabled?

#8 polsa

polsa

Snom Support Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:51 AM

Hi,

I dont quite understand. Is the first reboot (step 2) caused by a change of the update server/filename (otherwise I cant see why the phone would need a reboot)?
When I connect the phone, it will receive an IP + update server + update filename via DHCP 66/67, so upon calling a "download firmware" (tr69) command by an ACS, no settings will be changed, so no reboot is required, or am I missing something?

How I assume it could work (when "auto reboot on setting change" is disabled):
1) phone receives ip + upd server(ACS url)/filename via DHCP and contacts ACS (now the phone is under the management of our ACS (checking fw version / sending fw download cmd / factory resetting etc))

We do not support setting the ACS using DHCP for tr69 as there are also some other settings which need to be changed. Please refer to out TR-069 technote. However there is a workaround which would solve a couple of your problems (see below).

2) acs checks fw version and sends "download fw" cmd
3) phone downloads + installs + reboots autonomously

even if "auto reboot on setting change" is disabled?

The phone always needs to reboot twice on an update. The reason for this is that the update is not done by the phone software itself but but a seperate process which changes the application partition.

The workaround:

snom phones allow the user to change the factory defaults (i.e. the default settings after a factory reset).
The defaults can be changed using standard provisioning or (in the next official release) TR-069.
This needs to be done only once as long as you do not perform a TFTP rescue mode update.

In your case they could include:

• TR-069 ACS settings
  • Initial settings user independent

So after a factory reset the phone would go back to ACS and perform a bootstrap which again could add any user dependent settings (which do not require a reboot).

HTH,

Filip

--
Filip P.
snom technology AG

#9 snomPhoneUser

snomPhoneUser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

The phone always needs to reboot twice on an update. The reason for this is that the update is not done by the phone software itself but but a seperate process which changes the application partition.

Ah, now the 2 reboot make sense, thank you for the explanation!

We do not support setting the ACS using DHCP for tr69 as there are also some other settings which need to be changed. Please refer to out TR-069 technote.

I reread the technote and the mass deployment and came up with the following idea:

1) receiving setting server url / filename via DHCP 66/67

Configure sname/ option 66 (tftp-server-name) pointing to setting server URL e.g. http://192.168.1.3
Optional: Configure file / option 67 (bootfile-name) containing setting file path, e.g. snom/snom3xx.htm

2) phone requests general settings file including ACS settings + empty </firmware> (as I want the acs wheather or not the phone needs a new FW) from the update server (as described in "Mass Deployment")
3) phone contacts ACS and ACS now manages the phone

guess that should work? :huh::)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users