5 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Gillett

Ken Gillett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:31 PM

Having read the entries on this forum regarding the M9 I must be mad to even be considering this move, but the M9 offers one big advantage over a Gigaset - it can work with 9 handsets whereas the Siemens devices are limited to 6. But I am horrified to read of the current state of the M9 with regard to stability and functionality. However, to ensure that I do fully understand the situation, could I ask for others' comments on the following:-

I guess the most crucial is that currently a handset can only work with a single SIP/VOIP account/line and you cannot 'link' 2 handsets to the same 'line' so they ring together. Is this really true? Since this functionality is so absolutely fundamental to the type of use for which the M9 is obviously designed, I am staggered that Snom have released the product at all at this stage. As it stands, the device is useless, but it appears that Snom are working on new firmware. Is there any definite confirmation that this will indeed be corrected in the next version and when that might be available?

Is the incoming account/line displayed on the handset? I guess this is a mute point at the moment since there can only be a single account, but when this is sorted, surely, they will display it for incoming calls - won't they? This is absolutely curcial.

Yet again I am disappointed that the selection of outgoing line is apparently so convoluted. In comparison the Gigaset is a paragon of brilliant design. You can specify a default line for each handset that is used by a normal press on the green 'dial' key, but a long 'press and hold' on that key will instead use a specified alternative. Not only that, but a subscript of a # followed by a number will force the use of that line instead. With the limited number of buttons and screen real estate on a cordless handset, it is not practical to have a separate button for each possible outgoing line so Siemens' solution is actually rather good. At any rate, once a handset can work with more than a single 'line' there HAS to be a way to set the line to use for outgoing calls. I would hope they take a good look at Siemens' products before committing to their own coding.

It is apparently possible to register with up to 4 Base Stations, but is that simultaneously, with roaming between them? So in theory you could have 18 handsets all able to receive calls from the same VOIP 'lines' with internal/intercom calls possible between them all (not at the same time, obviously:-)?

What are the limitations of using generic GAP handsets? To complement some new M9 handsets, I'm thinking of using other Siemens handsets that I already have. I don't need full configurability of the base station/gateway by these handsets, but I do of course need to make and answer calls, both external and internal/intercom calls and to be able to transfer/forward to other handsets and/or external numbers and VOIP/SIP accounts. Any of these precluded from functioning on generic GAP handsets? What about dialling SIP ID/URIs?

Can all the above be performed on M9 handsets?

Once registered, can you swap their 'extension' number? On a Gigaset, there are 6 handsets possible, numbered 1 to 6, but once registered, you can change the number for any handset so you can assign them to the number you want without having to go through the laborious process of de-registering and re-registering just to move it to a different number. Can you do this with the M9?

How do you make in internal/intercom call? Can you display a list of all other registered handsets? By name? i.e. like on a Gigaset?

Any Bluetooth capability in M9 handsets? What about if other GAP handset with BT (e.g. Siemens) is used? Presumably this would actually work?

How would one utilise a Linksys 3102 to enable access to a PSTN line? Can the M9 work with an 'unregistered' SIP account?

Only M9 Dect repeaters will work and they're not yet available?

No Dial plans? This is yet another serious oversight.

Any Music On Hold?

I know, quite a long list, but I didn't expect an apparently 'business grade' product from Snom to fall so far short of the capabilities of 'home use' products like Siemens Gigasets. Not that they're perfect, but the M9 purports to offer more. I just need to find out what is fact and what is fiction, so some advice from those who've tried it would be helpful.

Thanks

#2 Ken Gillett

Ken Gillett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:34 PM

I've been thinking about some of the points I made above and I think I can see where Snom is coming from. The M9 (at least in its initial release guise) is targeted at IP PBXs. In which case the single line per handset makes total sense as this is how you would configure it, with the PBX making the decisions as to which handsets ring for incoming calls on which lines. This makes sense.

It also begs the question about whether it really should display the incoming line and the fact that it currently does not, again indicates that it is intended for PBX use and the same 'line' would be used for calls via different 'lines' to the PBX. No, what is required in this case is that the M9 handset can display incoming call info as specified by the PBX which I believe can be part of the SIP data as transferred when the call is placed to the extension/handset. So the real question is: can the M9 display info sent to it with the call from Asterisk or indeed FreeSwitch? Anyone got an answer to this?

But, this modus operandi precludes the possibility to utilise the M9 in a standalone mode, which would be a shame (and cost sales). However, it would appear that Snom are in the process of making changes to the firmware to allow a handset to work with multiple 'lines', but they need to think carefully about the call info display since the 2 modes of operation have quite different requirements in this respect. In 'standalone' mode with multiple 'lines' available to each handset, the handset needs to display the specified name of the incoming line. But in PBX mode with a single line per handset, it needs to display the supplied SIP call info as sent from the PBX. I just hope they don't get this mixed up.

As for the rest of the 'problems' - I guess I'll just have to get an M9 and try it out.

Mind you, I'd still be interested in comments from other users regarding my other questions.

#3 Ierlandfan

Ierlandfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:20 PM

Board denieds to quote all of your single questions, so here goes.

1. No, it isn´t yet. It only states telephone number for now.

2. Wow, Gigaset, a paragon of brilliant design. It´s incredible slow compared to the m9. (call transfer m9=6 sec. Gigaset=20 sec) On heavy, business load it crashes. Besides that, it´s an ok phone for normal use. Stay away from the a580. Handset is buggy. C470 and S675 or S685 is perfect.
M9 has space for analogue line but the hardware is not utilized. I wonder why they did'nt utilized it. PSTN is a perfect fallback. (Gigaset has it)
Just a note: Gigaset is releasing new firmware every month or so. (Beta's which are free to try.) FW 225 is latest Beta.

3.I only have one M9 base station. Stand corrected, had two. One was doa. Base was doa and handsets had corrupted fw. Upgrading from new base failed also.

4. Generic-gap compatible handsets work. I can be called and can call from a C470 handset, an AAstra 620 and a S675 handset. Don't know about the transfer. Wil test above tomorrow. (If time permits me.)

5. Yes, IPEI numbers (auth ID of the handset) can be changed on the fly. Tried that. Works like a charm.

6. Wil try tomorrow.

7. No, no bluetooth.

8. Nice fresh idea!! Probably register the m9 to the 3102 and make a prefix for pstn. (EG #555=PSTN 555 IS sip) If not possible do this on the pbx.

9. Yes. Only Snom M9 repeaters. Not yet available.

10. Nope. No dialplans

11. Music on hold via pbx only. Do you really want some crappy midi music while you can have mp3 on the pbx?

I know, quite a long list, but I didn't expect an apparently 'business grade' product from Snom to fall so far short of the capabilities of 'home use' products like Siemens Gigasets. Not that they're perfect, but the M9 purports to offer more. I just need to find out what is fact and what is fiction, so some advice from those who've tried it would be helpful.

Thanks

Agree. m9 has incredible big potential to become a killer ass sip phone.
For now, stick to the Gigasets or try Native RTX ones. (M3 and m9 are made by RTX Telecom under OEM license)

#4 Kraken

Kraken

Snom Support Team

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

Just a quick comment:

m9 is NOT from RTX but a wholly owned snom product!

#5 Kraken

Kraken

Snom Support Team

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:40 PM

Ken:

1) m9 will support simultaneous ringing in the future
2) Selection of outgoing line is purely a consumer market feature for handsets and does not make sense for Business telephony
3) Intercom calls can be made through a list of available handsets shown on the display

#6 Kraken

Kraken

Snom Support Team

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

Ken you might want to update this post. Here is our latest FW:

http://provisioning....w/m9-9.2.28.bin

Release Notes are available here:
http://wiki.snom.com...se_Notes/9.2.28

And the Online Admin Manual is here: